Ever wonder why when you try to search something on the internet, a lengthy list of suggestions will come up? That is how SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION work.
What is SEO?
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results. Meaning, it is not just gathering random and irrelevant suggestions for a particular search topic, but accumulating a number of useful, helpful and topic-relevant information.
- Keywords are quantity and quality of traffic. To start off, quantity is about the number of traffic or in other words the number of appropriate people that clicks to your content. The greater the traffic, the better… but that does not mean we need to compromise the quality of traffic.
- Quality means if the actual traffic is really pertaining to your content. One might appear on a search result just because its descriptive title includes a word that is similar to what was search but both might have a completely different context. Even if it does appear as part of the search result, it will be put into vain because the person who searched for that specific title has a completely different content in mind.
Let us try to understand how search engines work first and foremost.
Search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, and many more have internet tentacles that gather a bunch of information or data that they can find on the net. They have a wingman that hook them up with information that could be relevant to the content. They accumulate these info and basically form an index. The index is then set out to match the content searched or query. That’s how search engines roll.
Now, to discuss the optimization part. Optimizing search engines is basically maximizing its potentials. It is easy to put up a content out there and you can easily spot contents that can be similar to yours. Optimizing content is just a fancy way of saying “makeover”. So, this would mean that you need to put out your content in a way that readers or viewers will immediately click on it. Optimization can come in a bunch of different ways and strategies from unique title, title tags and such. Another thing that you could do to spice things up is include or make mention other internal links that are relevant to the topic at hand and could also broaden up your views.
Understanding your users’ journey.
Before going into the details, ask yourself what and why people search? Understand their intent into why they would search these keywords. Your users might be interesting on the latest Ariana Grande song, they might want to go on a vacation to Maldives, or they want to simply browse for cute puppy photos.
When a user starts to use a search engine, they are starting their journey to finding new information. This is what you call the start of the “consumer journey”. It’s up to you to fulfill this journey by providing content relevant to the users’ wants.
Knowing the basics first.
These are the basic things you need to know about search engine optimization before digging in to the real deal. It could look pretty easy to understand but it branches out to a lot of complex ideas, strategies, and many more. So, before getting to the more advanced part of search engine optimization, it is best to understand the basic concepts at heart.
Latest posts by Carmel Lago (see all)
- Linkhelpers SEO – 8 Tools for Content Creation and Collaboration - March 18, 2020
- Linkhelpers SEO – 6 Event Marketing and Other Similar Marketing Tools - March 18, 2020
- Linkhelpers SEO – 4 Video Marketing Tools to Upload Your Video Ads - March 18, 2020