Williamson, Arizona is located in the County of Yavapai. According to the census that was taken in 2000, the population of Williamson was some 3,776 people.
One of the several wonderful drives in the County of Yavapai, as well as a great drive to entertain some guests is out of Prescott northwards to Seligman is the Williamson Valley Road. Not only do these 70 miles have numerous stories to tell from the Territory of Arizona but this is a very scenic route.
Starting, where the Williamson Valley Road begins at the Fire Station and runs through Iron Springs. The namesake of Williamson was Lieutenant Williamson, in 1858 on the left at mile marker 8.4, there is the road to the American Ranch, which located in the foothills of Granite Mountain. A man named Dan Connor, who had arrived with the Walker Party in 1853. Mr. Conner staked this region as his homestead, and named it The American Ranch. Mr. Conner traded his claim to a man named Jefferson Lee for a gun that he required for his trip, when he elected to go to California. Mr. Lee constructed a ranch house that had an escape tunnel in the probably event of an Indian attack. To access the escape tunnel Mr. Lee, had to go the floor in the house through a hole in the floor of the house. Mr. Lee used his escape once when his house was burned down the Native Indians. Mr. Lee rebuilt his ranch and started a stage stop for travelers on the Hardeeville Road that passed the area that connected the Colorado River with Prescott.
Mint Springs is only some miles north of the American Ranch. On the northern side of Granite Mountain its creek rises on the north side of the mountain, and flows northwesterly, in what is currently known as Mint Valley. A man named name Robert Stringfield is attached to several locations in the area. In, 1875, Mr. Stringfield as well as his family homesteaded here for a short while and after they had arrived in Prescott. Descendants of the Stringfield clan are continue to ranch and 4th generation descendent named Ralph Stringfield played an important role the founding of the Camp Meeting for the Prescott Cowboy, is held very near here. The only trace of is left is some rocks from the foundation. The school was taken over by the Granite Mountain School District in 1813.
At mile marker 13, there is a private development in Inscription Canyon. In this region there is a rock that is comprised of collection of prehistoric rock art. The Canyon and the rock and were deeded over the Yavapai Native Indian tribe. There are some extensive ruins that were left by these people next to Walnut Creek.
There is a railroad crossing at mile marker 17. The Santa Fe Railroad was anxious to have a connection to Prescott from its primary railroad line at Seligman to Prescott, and then on to Phoenix. In 1815, these two business end the business groups were consolidated to establish the Arizona and Prescott and Central Railroad Company. In 1886, the railroad to Seligman was finished. However, the new Railroad line had some with problems. As it turns out, the first school being constructed in 1883 by was by the Stringfield family. This would indicate that a numerous ranch families had established the region quite early. The enterprise was a disaster, and was replaced in 1891 by the Phoenix Prescott, and Santa Fe, Prescott railroad was established. This railroad line and joined, and with the Santa Fe at Ash Fork traveled through Chino Valley and joined with the Santa Fe at Ash Fork.
The Crossroads Ranch development is on the right at mile marker. This region was initially called the crossing where freight, stage, and wagon trains crossed the wash on the way route between Handyville and Prescott. There are many different things that are notable in this region. Originally, the region of Williamson Valley, was known as Dillon Wash, and was named in the honor of the John Dillon family who had lived in the settlement of Simmons. About 100 yards road there are some large trees on the left. This was the location which was a stagecoach stop that was named after a man named this small settlement and stagecoach stop named after Mr. John Simmons who, in 1880 arrived in the area. However, back in a post office was established in the area named Williamson, with postmistress named Betsy Zimmerman. The wonderful Mrs. Zimmerman was known in Prescott for her vegetables, dairy products that she would bring to the settlement, to sell. In 1875, the post office was renamed Wilson after a man named William Simmons as postmaster. In 1881 the area was again renamed to Simmons. In 1931, this post office closed. However, name of the community of Williamson is still there seen on several different local maps. This included map of the Prescott National Forest. Whatever is left of the stagecoach stop is currently on private property.