Litchfield Park Tidbits
Maricopa County of Arizona's most beautiful city is the Litchfield Park. With the approximately 5,476 people in the population according to census 2010. It is located 20miles NW of Phoenix. The founder of Litchfield Park is Paul Weeks Litchfield who was born in the year 1875 and died in the year 1959. The city was named after him. Litchfield was the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company executive who settled in the year 1916 in Phoenix searching for a suitable long-staple cotton farm that was only available from the Sea Islands off the coast of Egypt and from Georgia.
Litchfield Park, is in Maricopa County with its Southwest Valley, historic center, has a small residential community. It is an exclusive suburban society boasting a casual and wholesome atmosphere with attracting and beautiful houses, charming sidewalk cafes, mature and breathtaking landscaping, with friendly neighbors, award winning schools and the celebrated Wigwam Golf Resort.
The society which was later to turn to be a Litchfield Park was specifically established in the year 1910, time when the primary land claims were arranged by William Kriegbaum from Riverside in California. With 640 acres, the land area includes the City's downtown area. The initial plan from the earliest settlers of the city was to establish the land area of the west Agua Fria River as good citrus groves. Paul W. Litchfield in the year 1916 was sent by the Ohio set Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company to buy a vast land area measuring 16,000 acres, and the earliest settler claims that some part of the land area that he purchased was owned by them.
The plan was to advance and increase Egyptian long staple cotton for the benefit of sustaining truck tires and straight sided pneumatic automobile. Sadly, the Goodyear Tire, when the World War I advent couldn't longer attain their overseas cotton supply.
Paul Litchfield arrived to the devoted land area and established the headquarters in Litchfield Ranch for Southwest Cotton Company, which we called later as the Goodyear Farms, which set thousands of acres under farming and planting in the region. Florence Litchfield and Paul Litchfield in the mid-1920's established their very beautiful and alluring winter state called Rancho La Loma, located on the hill leaving out the town site. In the year 1992, the Litchfield Park was officially announced. The resort of Wigwam, started as a simple and plain guest housing for staying Goodyear Tire managers from Akron, Ohio. The resort was initially called Organization House, and was opened and broaden in November, 1929 as a public resort. In the year 1931 to the year 1944, the area was known for being a home to the Goodyear truck, auto and tractor tires test site as a test site. Paul Litchfield was involved in building the Luke Air Force located about north of the good community. The Litchfield Park grew extremely after and during the World War ll.
In the year 1987, Litchfield Park was incorporated as a city. The Rancho La Loma is soon under the control of the City of Litchfield Park (Denny/Litchfield family state), plans and ideas were generated by the City for the renewal of the land site as well as its building. Time passed, and the conditional property for public use was developed.
The cotton was really essential in strengthening the rubber in the pneumatic tire, in which Goodyear was declared as the world's largest tire producer. The east coast cotton stock was devoured by the boll weevil. The African supply was highly reduced because of the World War I charges from German U boats. Litchfield deported to the Phoenix land area instructed by the United States Department of Agriculture, however, motivating the farmers wasn't successful enough to grow his cotton. However, he earned the Goodyear to establish the Phoenix Southwest Cotton Company. Litchfield is the president and he as well bought some land area with 36,000 acres of the general Salt River Valley area and that includes 5,000 acres over the current site of the Litchfield Park and was called as the Litchfield Ranch.
Most of the land area was only bought for as low as $25/acre. Tons of cotton were refined with a labor pool of most Native Americans as well as the Mexican men. The US Postal Service sets the name in the year 1926 of the Litchfield Park as the official name. Wigwam Resort in the year 1929 was opened for public and in the year 1926, Goodyear-Zeppelin Corporation assigned Litchfield to be the president, and as the Chairman of the Board in the year 1930. Litchfield retired in the year 1968 from the company and decided to spend the rest of his life an ordinary Litchfield Park resident at his own home on Fairway Drive.
Goodyear established the Litchfield Park Land and Development Co. in the year 1964 to widen Litchfield Park into 90,000 residing communities. The head of the company was Arden E. Goodyear with Patrick Cusick as the vice president/general manager and as the designer of the building Victor Gruen was hired. With the perfect idea of 25,000 houses, eighteen elementary schools, a college, a junior college, six high schools as well as ten junior high schools.