Dewey Humboldt Tidbits
The history of Dewey Humboldt in Arizona, United States area started with the petroglyphs ported by Indians who were still in the land leading the Yavapai tribe. City people were lucky to have some knowledge about the history of their past ancestors. Unlike their ancestor, the Yavapai tribe wasn't able to leave their history in the form of petroglyphs. On the other hand, plenty of artifacts were left in lots of different kinds of ruins spread out through the whole area.
At the Fort Whipple station, there was an army who interviewed plenty of elderly Indians who were still living in the land area of Dewey Humboldt during the 1800's. They took advantage in telling the histories of their ancestors, including their fathers and grandfathers. One thing that he really noted for his recorded history is the "Tribe with the White Dogs. Because, that's what they were called to their ancestor who lived in the Dewey-Humboldt area. You might see white dog running loose in the city and you might think and wonder if they're the ancestors who's long gone in the area among the Indians. This tribe was purely nomads, adopting the area where their primary job is planting crops. For gathering cactus fruits, the tribe trip as far as Cave Creek and went to as far as Crown King just to gather nuts and lastly, they went to Lonesome Valley to gather Sunflower seeds.
King Woolsey is the first Caucasian miner colonist who travels through the area looking for a place with rich gold. He was able to construct his own ranch near the Aqua Fria River and by the used of rocks from Indian ruins that was left behind. The house that he built had its own water well that can provide shelter to several citizens in case of emergency. The water well was built inside the house that he designed. The Woolsey home is filled with all the requirements needed that can be called a fort, that's why people usually refer to the house as a fort, even though it was never worn.
The home was mainly a ranch, but lots of military men, travelers, miners and prospectors used the house as a hiding place. In those moments of time, people thought of Woolsey as a local hero, for the things that he offered to the Indians. Now a days, if you drive the Old Black Canyon Highway and search ahead before getting to Young's farm, you can still see the historic ranch ruins of the past.
The story behind meeting King's wife Mary is so nostalgic. One day, King visits a wagon train that travels through the area, hearing a commotion with a woman talking to someone telling she's about to leave once they got to civilization. She said that she's a slave brought along the trip and really tired of being one. King moved toward the woman and inform her that he had everything and a nice spread, but the only thing that's lacking him is a woman to be by his side. He approached the lady if she's willing to come and live with him. She thought that the King's offer was better than being with the man who treat her like a slave, then Kings took her. Mary and King have been together ever since then until they died, but of course not without complication.
The couple wasn't able to have any children, however, one day, King carried home a child, a young Iraqi Indian girl. The two couples were really happy when they adopted the young girl. They love and raised her as if she's were their own. As time passed by, the young girl turned into a fine lady and King began to take more than affectionate interest in her. His wife Mary couldn't stand that situation so she decided to have King establishe her own home far from the ranch. The girl transferred to her new home, however, King didn't stop chasing her and eventually they even had two children, which were both girls.
In the mid 1800's, Levi Bashfords' time, the same name as the building in Prescott where a mill was built, with a 20 ton capacity smelter. The building is small and operated from 1876 through 1884. Now what is called the Agua Fria Smelter, however, in the past, it was called by the local "the Bashford Mill". It was burned down and the remains of the mill were sold by the association, including the land and the ruins. Eventually they established the Val Verde Smelter, which runs in the year 1899.
The smelter has 150 tons and the other is 60 tons smelting furnaces. Anyhow, in the year 1904, the company owned the town during mine's operation and they called it Val Verde. Because of the development, they established a post office. Flagstaff was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in the year 1983. In the year 2001. The city was known as the world's first "International Dark-Sky City."