The first veterinary expert for the territory of Arizona is Dr. Alexander, John Chandler in the year 1891. He studied advance Science of irrigation engineering and it really helped him a lot in designing the new canal that we called an Arid Desert in the present. From the associated government south of Mesa, Dr. Chandler purchased about 80 acres of land area in Salt River Valley.
Several years later, an 18,000 acre was owned by Dr. Chandler. Each landowner could obtain enough water supply for 160 acres' irrigation provided by the charter of the Salt River Project. By the help of other architects and planners his ranch's was divided and town-site map was created. Afterwards, selling his ranch was advertised in public.
Dr. Chandler decided to open a transit office on May 17, 1912. The townsite office, the Morrison Grocery and a dining hall area consisted the town and they called it the three wooden shacks. One of the future buildings called Hotel San Marcos was advertised at the same time and posted on a billboard. A great plan was already done ahead of his time by Dr. Chandler. One of his vision was a landscaped central park with businesses surrounding. The building's walkways in front would be made of trellis-like roof with colonnades. Dr. Chandler required all land owners to establish on their land in a year.
A year later, after the initial land was sold, the town Chandler has begun to look like a progressive city. Plenty of businesses along the south and west of the park was built, including Eastern Railroad depot and the Bank of Chandler. The park is surrounded with newly planted trees, covered with grass, graded dirt roads and wagons and carts. The park was also divided into a south and a north side of Commonwealth Canal.
On November 22, 1913, the grand opening of Hotel San Marcos took place with 500 guests, including Vice President Thomas Marshall and Governor George P. Hunt. The hotel acquired an immediate growth and success due to the help of wealthy visitors all over the world, who occupied the rooms during the winter. Chandler's primary business during that time was still agriculture, crops were grains, alfalfa and grains. Sheep, cattle and yes, ostriches were raised by farmers. High quality feathers were sold for an amount of $250 pounds and Ostrich feathers were used to attract a woman's love for fashion.
When the World War 1 started, the most profitable and the most common crop in Chandler as the years passed by was cotton. People demanded to use long staple cotton for the aircraft fabrics and manufacture of rubber tires. During the war, the Goodyear was established due to the Chandler Improvement Company lent the Goodyear Tire Company of approximately 8,000 acres south of town.
In the year 1920, population in Chandler increase, they had more than 1,000 residents and growing. The city roads needed to be paved because automobiles were used as the primary transportation. The sewage system and the water were outdated, as well as the utility service that turns to be unreliable. In May of 1920, the local Justice of the Peace Arthur Price planed and designed the first chapter of the town. People incorporated in voting Dr. Chandler as the town's first mayor until one could be in a position. When Dr. Chandler agreed in serving people, they soon decided to elect a council.
The town Chandler experienced several problems due to the technology grows, such as fast car drivers haven't traveled Arizona Avenue and then will end at the town plaza. Some cars sometimes jumped into the curb and ended up into the park. However, on August 14, 1945, people of Chandler celebrated the news regarding the end of the war.
Chandler culture is complemented by its impressive and beautiful museum, public exhibits supported by works of art and its private and public art galleries. One of the Chandler historic museum is the Arizona Railway Museum. This railroad museum was incorporated and founded in the year 1983 as a non-profit organization. They dedicated this railroad museum in the Southwestern United States as well as the Arizona. This elegant railroad museum consists of broad collection railroad-artifacts and rolling stock. The Railroad Steam Wrecking Crane including the Tool Car is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, as well as the Southern Pacific Railroad Locomotive with Tender No. 8365 and the other one is with No. SP 2562.
Another historic museum that can be found in Chandler, Arizona was founded and incorporated in the year 1983. It was named the Arizona Railway Museum building (gift shop). It's a very educational and historical system and also non profitable. The Arizona Railway Museum location is in E. Ryan Rd, Chandler, Arizona. The Tool Car as well as the Railroad Steam Wrecking Crane were both listed in the National Register of Historic Places.