Humans have inhabited what is currently known as the community of Williamson and the Williamson Valley since at least 900 A.D. They arrive in the region to hunt small game, pronghorn, and deer. The settlement also served as a way to study for these early Native Indian tribes, from the southern forests of. Archaeological studies have demonstrated that shown these early Native Indian tribes used this region on some cases permanent encampments, and in other cases they were used for storage.
Petroglyphs next to washes are a minimum of 1,000 years old. During the 1850's, gold was discovered, which resulted in a new relocated of white pioneers to this region, such as settlers and white miners. The Hualapai Native Indian tribe as well as Yavapai Native Indian tribe was already established in this region. They considered any intrusion of white pioneers as an invasion of their hunting grounds and territory and hunting grounds.
The result of the relocation of white pioneers during the 1860's resulted in hostilities, which resulted the killing on both sides. The Federal government established the Territorial government of Arizona when the Civil War started. In order to protect the ever increasing numbers of hostile Native Indians, in addition to the white pioneers and the gold mines, federal Troops were stationed in the region. In turn, the presence of the increasing number of the population of civilians and army personal resulted in an increased a demand for hay and beef. The foundation for agriculture was the direct of these events in the region.
There was natural basis for raising both cattle and hay as the result of the lush green grass that was located in Williamson Valley, which provided a natural basis for raising both cattle and hay. A cattle rancher named Stevens took his livestock into Williamson Valley in 1864, and started the prosperous but long between the new markets in Prescott and beyond and the valley.
The namesake of the Williamson Valley was a Lieutenant named Robert Stockton Williamson who, in 1854, served as a surveyed for the government in Arizona in 1854. During the 1960's, a civilian named Thomas Simmons established a stagecoach station because the valley was a natural passage to the Prescott region. Mr. Simmons, who was originally from Arkansas, provided meals, provided a manned post office, as well as an exchange of horses.
In 1871, as postmaster, Mr. Simmons assigned the name of Wilson to the station in honor of the late Commissioner of the General Land Office. However, the community was renamed to Williamson Valley in 1873. Once again the community was renamed, in 1818, this time to Simmons, until the 1930's when the station closed. What is currently known as Williamson Valley Road was originally known for many years as Simmons Highway. The fact is that county publications continue to designate the name Simmons on official Highway maps.
Based on ranching, the community of Williamson was established somewhat south of the valley. Williamson had a similar economic structure. The community of Williamson diversified into small farms that provided fruit and fresh vegetables for the residents in Prescott, in addition to the cattle industry.
On back roads and around ranches, the preferred method was on horseback. However, residents also used automobiles, such as the Ford Model A as well as the Ford Model T, to travel into the community and for travel between ranches. The stagecoach provided the overland transportation. Located on the west side of Williamson there was stagecoach stop, which was also located across from the Crossroads Ranch. Generally, the roads were poor and traveling was slow and difficult.
Nearly all of the residents of the community trended their gardens and canned what they grew so that they could survive the winter. Chicken, pork, a beef, pork, from domestic animals supplemented their vegetables and fruits from their garden, as well as wild game meat. Meat was hung in cellars after being salted and smoked. Sometimes it was also canned.
The main sources of income were by selling horses, hay, and cattle for the residents of the community. These white pioneers sold both bucking horses for rodeos. In order to supplement their income they turned to selling dairy products, blacksmithing, carpentry, or cutting meat.
Neighbors' helping other neighbors putting up hey and rounding up cattle was the extent of their social life. Quite frequently the distance between ranches was at least three, this made for infrequent frequent visits. When traveling bands came to Williamson, Kirkland, and Skull Valley, or Williamson, Chino Valley, dancing was very popular. The rodeos that were biggest social events and the crown jewel of the rodeos were held in Prescott. Informal, smaller rodeos were held on individual ranches by residents for practice and enjoyment. One of the major events was a visit to the community.
These days, Williamson is a wonderful place to live, work, play, or visit. It is also a great place to raise a family.