The history of Sedona, Arizona doesn't begin in Sedona. In 1902, the wife of a man named T. Schnebly was the namesake of the settlement. Oak Creek Canyon is where the settlement of Sedona begins. The author named Zane Gray loved and lived under looming and stone walls.
A considerable amount of time before Mr. Grey wrote fished, and hunted, in the wilderness, the first white Pioneer named J. Thompson, claimed some land under the 1876 Homestead Act. Mr. Thompson exercised his rights as a squatter and secured parcel of property across from what is currently known as the Indian Gardens Store.
When Mr. Thompson claimed his property, he located healthy spring water as well as the deserted gardens of the Indians. This gave him the initiative to construct a log cabin. He named his home the Indian Gardens Ranch. However, sometime later he changed the name to simply Indian Gardens. More white pioneers started arriving in the canyon area to raise cattle and horses, once Mr. Thompson homesteaded in the canyon. They trenched irrigation ditches so they could also plant crops, especially orchards. Some decades later the cow paths and trails became dirt roads, which drew additional white pioneers. A man names Frank Pendley became one of the most noted early farmers in the history of Oak Creek Canyon, since his engineering skills and his pioneer spirit allowed him to build an innovative irrigation system. Where other had failed, he succeeded. His pears and his apples were sold at markets in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Cottonwood, and Jerome. The irrigation system that Mr. Pendley built still remains usable at Slide Rock State Park, the location of his early homestead.
South of the recently named Indian Gardens by Mr. J. Thompson, the Abraham James family became first residents of this immediate community, which was destined to be eventually be known as Sedona. In 1879, Mr. James and his some and wife relocated to this area. Mr. James is responsible for making this region a popular tourist attraction for over 100 years. Mr. James originated names particularly for this community's incredible formations of red rock.
However, a Doctor named Jesse Fewkes from of the Smithsonian Institute also deserves some credit, since after he named the two largest cliff dwellings in this region, this archaeologist suggested that Red Rock Country would be very popular with tourists.
Mr. James named the settlement Church Rock, Court Rock, Steamboat Rock and Bell Rock. Some years later, Church Rock and Court Rock became known As Cathedral Rock and Courthouse Rock. With regard to the formations of the rock, these names were switched.
In 1876, the Beaver Head Stagecoach Station was constructed close to Dry Beaver Creek, which was locate about 12 miles south of what is currently known as Sedona, in same year that Thompson was residing in Oak Creek Canyon. This station was situated on the very old road between Yuma and Winslow. In 1968, a rough road that extended from the stagecoach station to Big Park, which was renamed to the Village of Oakcreek. This road continued on north to the region that would become known as Sedona.
While Mr. Thompson was claiming some property in Oak Creek Canyon, a man named John Lee resided close to the crossing. In 1876, a woman named Margaret Jackson made an even more significant year in this region's history when she became the first white woman to reside on the lower Oak Creek. In addition, in 1884, a man named Henry Schuerman purchased a 160-acre farm just south of Lee's land, where the state park is currently located.
Mr. T. Schnebly and Sedona Schnebly were drawn to Camp Garden or Upper Oak Creek with both names seemingly representing the same location. However, these names were completely appropriate since in the last 100 years, numerous individuals and families have been attracted to this area by the raving descriptions of relatives and friends. In the case of Mr. T. Schnebly Sedona Schnebly, it was the brother of Schnebly named Dorsey Schnebly, who found the Red Rock Country while searching for an ideal atmosphere and climate that would benefit his health. Mr. Ellsworth Schnebly, who was the son of Mr. Schnebly and Sedona Schnebly, who was his uncle were so impressed with the forested greenery and the towering red rocks, that as well as the very large amount of acreage that was surrounded by the clear and meandering Oak Creek.
Mr. T. Schnebly bought some 80 acres location from a man named Frank Owenby after 1901, when he was traveling from Kansas, Mr. T Schnebly built a handsome home that was close to the location currently known as the Los Abrigados Resort, as well as two stone fireplaces. When the residents of this small community complained to Mr. T. Schnebly settlement complained to Mr. T Schnebly about the infrequent and slow mail service, he filed for an application for the organization of a post office. It has been suggested that Mr. T. Schnebly should name the post office Schnebly Station. However, these names weren't accepted by the government since they were too long to fit on a cancellation stamp. Therefore, Mr. T. Schnebly's brother, named Dorsey Ellsworth, considered submitting Mr. T Schnebly's wife's name, which was Sedona.