It is quite difficult to describe the history of Phoenix, Arizona with any accuracy. The printed records are incomplete and fragmentary. Any historian has to depend on the evidence given by some of the early pioneers that remain as well as some of their descendants.
A merchant from Wickenburg Heyman Menassee, opened his fourth store in Phoenix in 1872. That same year a man named Edward Irvine opened a news depot and the first book store. His news for the settlers was located just off Washington on south First Street. In 1870, Mr. Irvine arrived in the Salt River Valley in 1870. He is considered to be known off the pioneers in the area. He owned what is currently called the Irvine Addition to the community of Phoenix. In 1879 he constructed the two-story building. This building is currently by the J. W. Dorris Grocery Company. At the time, this was the most pretentious building and was only the other brick building in Phoenix. There were many professionals that had their offices located on the second floor. Mr. Irvine left the Salt River Valley around 1905, and relocated to Berkeley, California, where, in 1916, he passed away. He left his large estate in Phoenix. In 1870 and his oldest son, named J. Irvine, went with his to the Territory.
Mr. Irvine was also one of representatives of the First State Legislature. However, in 1875, Mr. Irvine was also a junior member of E. Irvine and Company, but quit that job. Another son, named Thomas, arrived in the valley about twenty years after his father. In 1918, Mr. Irvine was also is a member of the well-known corporation of The McNeil Company, that sold stationers and printers, in Phoenix
At times, a man named Gardiner rented his hotel to different parties. The hotel has been open to the public for several years. It became known as Gardiner's Hotel, and was known locally by that name. It also became as one of the most popular establishments in the community.
1841 was the year that Mr. Gardiner was born. He was also a machinist and millwright, which were trades that he learned while he was in Gloucestershire, England. At the age of 18 years old, he also had a position in a flour mill. In 1862, he arrived in America. This followed after his voyage of some three weeks on the sailing vessel, named John J. Boyd. He relocated to Omaha, Nebraska and became partners with a man whose name was Henry Clifford, and he purchased teams and for many years was busy freighting across the plains. The first trip that Mr. Clifford took was to Salt Lake City, and from there to Nebraska and Montana. Bans of Indian tribes were a constant menace to the traveling pioneers, and were also very troublesome.
They only visited large companies, and weren't as fortunate as Mr. Gardiner, who prospered was never cheated. He went to Los Angeles, and the following year he arrived in Arizona, and settled in Phoenix in 1869, and in 1905 he passed away. For some 12 years he hauled supplies to Tucson from Yuma. He also carried supplies to Prescott and Camp Grant. He also carried supplies to various mining camps that were located in the mountains. In this service he 10 mules and five wagons He often carried as much as six tons on his wagon.
Mr. Gardiner primarily invested in land in Phoenix, and among this land was a blacksmith shop as well as a Machine shop, which were located at the intersection of Second Street and Adams Street. He was appointed to the president of the company. A well-equipped factory was placed in running order, after the wells were dug. A stand that was 100 feet tall and had a pressure of 40 pounds was maintained.
No other single one improvement has done such great a service to Phoenix as this project, which wasn't completed until 1890. He also established the Electric Light Company in Phoenix. In 1888, he became the president until he sold out to the current management. These modern works were constructed under his direction. In Phoenix, the first planning mill was completed and he operated the mill for some time, and he also under contact, he constructed such as buildings known as the Valley Bank Building and the City Hall. The largest flour mill in this Territory was constructed him in 1894. For some six years he constructed the building as the head of the business and then leased the building. This mill was located the corner of Adam Street and Second Street and Adams Streets, and in dimensions were 300 feet by 400 feet, which included a warehouse. All of the newest improvements used in it and it a capacity of 120 barrels each day. During this time period, Mr. Gardiner owned a fine improved farm on of some 160 acres that located a few miles from Phoenix.